Truth, Proclamation and Authenticity of Life in the Digital Age
I am working my way through a careful reading of Pope Benedict XVI’s World Communications Day Message “Truth, Proclamation and Authenticity of Life in the Digital Age” and thought it would be helpful to create a centralized post with links to analysis and commentary on the document. If you’re aware of a helpful link, please post it in the comments below. I will be updating this post soon with my own reflections on the document and would love to hear your thoughts on your favorite portions.
Upon initial reading, I again am reminded that every year, the Holy Father’s message for those who have devoted their lives to work in communications is always relevant to the larger society. Especially in the past few years, as social networking has revolutionized the way in which we communicate with one another, we faithful are hungry for guidance for our spiritual leaders for ways in which we can embrace these technologies for good, for the spread of the Gospel truths.
In my preliminary reading of the letter, several wonderful quotes stand out, including this one:
“To proclaim the Gospel through the new media means not only to insert expressly religious content into different media platforms, but also to witness consistently, in one’s own digital profile and in the way one communicates choices, preferences and judgements that are fully consistent with the Gospel, even when it is not spoken of specifically.”
Such a great reminder that we remain authentic in all of our communications, but especially that we not create an online persona that is inconsistent with our “real world” lifestyle. For those of us who spend a great deal of time online, this transparency, honesty and responsibility to be true messengers of Christ’s good news is a constant challenge.
More soon on the document, be here are a few places you can find news on Truth, Proclamation and Authenticity of Life in the Digital Age.
- Truth, Proclamation and Authenticity of Life in the Digital Age
- Pope says online social networks can help spread the Gospel – Catholic News Service
- Pope Calls for Christian Presence on Social Networking Sites – Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Weekend World Communications Day Podcast – SQPN
- Catholic Media Workers: Live in Conformity to the Gospel – EWTN
- This Makes Me Think – Among Women Podcast
- Pope Benedict XVI Encourages Us Social Media and Internet Users – Medjugorje Miracles
- The Pope’s Reflections on Facebook – National Catholic Register Blog, Edward Pentin
- Pope Weighs in on Social Networks – The New York Times
- Faithful Facebook: Pope Benedict Blesses Social Networking – Time
- The Pope and Social Media: A Tentative Affair – Washington Post
- Pope to Catholics online: It’s not just about hits – USA Today
- Social Networking Gets Apostolic Blessing – Conceivably Tech
- The Pope Slams Fake Social Media Profiles and Linkbait – TNW Europe
- The Pope is Cool with Social Media – The Inquisitr
- Pope Optimistic About Social Media in Digital Age – Dating God
- Pope Benedict Praises Social Networks – New York Daily News
- Pope Urges Christians to Connect Online But Not Live There – PC Mag
- Pope Warns of Alienation Risk in Social Networks – Reuters
- Start Social Networking Say Pope – V3.co.uk
- Facebook is not a replacement for talking – Montreal Gazette
- Pope Commends Social Networking but Warns of Risks – Tech News Daily
- Pope Tosses Holy Water on Facebook – Death and Taxes
- Pope Talks Social Networking – Laptop Magazine