Every month, I look forward to “meeting” and getting to know our CFCA friends of the month. They became a part of my daily prayer, inspiring me to look outside the comfort of my own home and to care more for those who face so many daily challenges to simply find food, shelter and education. While I’m happy we can help our “friends” find sponsors, the truth is that they give me so much more than they will ever know. Last month’s friend Elizabeth, a grandmother living in the Philippines, reminds me that being a “mom” is a lifelong vocation. Our September friend Rosmery reminds me that caring for those around us is truly one of life’s greatest gifts!
Rosmery — Friend of the Month for September 2012
Rosmery lives in Bolivia with her mother, six brothers and sister (her father passed away a long time ago). Even though she’s the youngest in her family, she’s a very responsible young lady! When she’s not helping out by picking up wood and collecting water from the river, this poised 9-year-old enjoys singing and playing soccer. She likes to be called “Mamachita.” Her mother and three older brothers work in agriculture to try to provide for the family, who is sharing one house made of adobe walls and a straw roof.
More about CFCA
For more than 30 years, Christian Foundation for Children and Aging (CFCA)has brought hope to families living in poverty in 22 countries. Founded in 1981 by lay Catholics acting on the Gospel call to serve the poor, it has grown into a movement of more than 250,000 sponsors who are supporting more than 300,000 children, youth and aging friends worldwide.
When a sponsor commits to sponsoring a child, youth or aging friend for $30 a month through CFCA’s Hope for a Family sponsorship program, it impacts the entire family. Sponsorship provides basic necessities like food, education, clothing and access to medical care, along with the encouragement needed for families to build a path out of poverty.
- The Hope for a Family sponsorship program provides much more than charity to families in need. CFCA takes a personal approach that focuses on partnering with each family to fulfill their basic needs while empowering them to create a path out of poverty through education, skills training, livelihood programs and community-building activities.
- Grounded in the Gospel call to serve the poor, CFCA is a lay Catholic organization working with and serving persons of all faith traditions.
- CFCA is among the 200 largest nonprofits in the U.S. according to Forbes, and the only child sponsorship organization to receive an A+ rating from the American Institute of Philanthropy. More than 94 percent of CFCA’s expenses go toward program support.
More Posts by Lisa Hendey
- Imitating Mary by Marge Fenelon – Our Next CatholicMom.com Book
- Win a Gorgeous 7 Sorrows Rosary Wrap from On This Day Designs
- “Catholic Moms Cafe” Prepares to Film at EWTN
- Prayers for Our Friends in Boston & Texas
- Win “On Heaven and Earth: Pope Francis on Faith, Family, and the Church in the Twenty-First Century”