This is a great side dish for any entrée, but it can also complement a salad or be a part of a brown rice bowl. It would be perfect for a nicoise salad or served with grilled fish. They are great cold or hot. The sweetness of the balsamic vinegar makes this dish really popular with children.
What are some of your favorite ways of cooking green beans?
Green beans, stems trimmed 1.5 lb.
Olive oil 1 tbsp.
Onion, red, sliced thick ½ ea.
Garlic, clove, sliced thin 2 ea.
Balsamic vinegar 1 tbsp.
Honey 1 tbsp.
Salt, kosher to taste
Pepper, black to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
2. Place green beans and red onions on baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, & pepper.
3. Roast in oven for 10 min.
4. In the meantime in a small bowl whisk the balsamic vinegar, the honey, and the garlic slices. Set aside.
5. Remove beans from oven and pour the balsamic-honey mix over them. Toss with your tongs.
6. Continue roasting for 10-12 more minutes or until beans have begun to shrivel and brown.
7. Remove from oven and serve.
The beans will shrivel and wrinkle in the oven. They might not look as nice as blanched green beans, but they will taste great. These beans can also be served cold with a balsamic honey dressing. Even the kids love this recipe! Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated magazine.
For step-by-step pictures visit Dora’s Table.
Copyright 2014 Dora Stone