Now that I live in the South I’ve been experimenting with okra. If you have never tried okra, this is a perfect dish to give it a try. Of course fried okra is the way to go, but if you’re watching your waistline this recipe would be better.
Charred Okra and Tomato Saute over Grits
1 cup grits, white or yellow, coarse grind
4 1/4 cups vegetable broth
1 TBL vegetable oil
1 lb. okra, cut into ½ in. pieces
1 onion, yellow, diced
1 ear of corn, cut into kernels
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded, diced
1 tomato, large, diced
1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt, kosher, to taste
Black pepper, ground, to taste
1. In a large heavy bottomed pot, bring 4 cups of broth to a boil. Add the grits in gradually while stirring constantly.
2. Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Stir constantly every five minutes to prevent grits from sticking.
3. Cook for 20 to 25 min. or until grits are tender. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
4. While the grits are cooking, set a large sauté pan to high heat and add 1 tbsp. of oil.
5. When the pan is hot, add the okra and cook for 5 – 6 minutes. Shake the pan every two minutes to let the okra brown evenly. Remove the okra from the pan and set aside.
6. Using the same pan, turn heat down to low and add the onion and sweat for 2 -3 min. until translucent.
7. Add corn and ¼ cup of vegetable broth. Cover and cook for 5 min. or until corn is tender and the liquid is close to evaporating.
8. Add garlic and green bell peppers. Cook for 2 min. then add tomatoes, green onion, and red pepper flakes.
9. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the tomatoes have begun to soften. Add okra back into the pan. Season with salt and pepper and serve over grits.
The okra is cooked at a high heat to prevent it from getting slimy. Make sure your pan is hot!
Copyright 2014 Dora Stone