These days there is a lot of poverty in the world, and that’s a scandal when we have so many riches and resources to give to everyone. We all have to think about how we can become a little poorer. -Pope Francis
I think we all desire to some extent or another to follow Pope Francis’ instruction here, to live the Church’s call and Jesus’ command to have a heart for the poor and that is burdened for the cause of justice.
But many times we are not sure how to act on that heart, or even what it is that we should do. And even for those of us who are actively serving the poor in some way, it can be a hard and lonely battle with little earthly consolation.
Because of these things, as a missionary, I am constantly building a little stash of inspiration for myself that helps cultivate my heart for the poor, inspire me to keep walking through the hard days, and that I can offer others who ask what might come next for them if they are feeling called to go deeper into Jesus’ teachings about loving the poor.
Today, I’d like to offer a bit of that inspiration to you. Here are ten links to offer you some inspiration toward loving and serving the poor. What I love about these links is that they are varied and from lots of different sources. Our calling and our service will not all look the same. I am a missionary living and working among the poor, but that is not the only way your life can be laid down for the least of these.
I hope these links will give you a glimpse of the way others’ hearts have been moved for the poor and perhaps give you a vision for the way in which the Lord might be calling you to moved to action, advocacy and service for those who in need.
- Kristen Welch at We Are THAT Family: “Rich and Poor: The Question That Wrecked Us Both”
- Sister Rosemary Nyirumbe: The Nun Working to End Violence, Sexual Exploitation in Uganda
- Sarah Bessey: “In which the women of Haiti make me stand straight”
- Fr. Gregory Boyle’s Ted Talk: Compassion and Kinship
- Ann Voskamp: When You’re Just Flat-Out Desperate To Live What You Believe
- Katie Davis’ Story: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption
- Marilyn Gardner on A Life Overseas: Where is the God of Deborah?
- Mother Teresa Quotes on EWTN.com
- John Paul II: Champion of the Poor from USCCB blog
- And a story from my own recent experience with a mom we served: On Birth Stories and Brave Women
Copyright 2014, Colleen Mitchell