This is one of those classic fall flavors you should definitely try: butternut squash, sage, and butter. One of my favorite adaptations is butternut squash ravioli tossed in brown butter and sage. This braised chicken dish, however, is a great family meal and it takes a lot less work than the ravioli.
I was inspired by Chef Jose Andres and his Galician Style Chicken Turnover, except mine is filled with butternut squash and not Spanish goodness. There is a secret ingredient that pulls this dish together though, and of course it’s bacon! Yeah I know, bacon wrapped in puff pastry is not exactly a healthy family meal, but there is chicken in it, and squash. Oh who am I kidding, it’s good and that’s why should try it.
Another option is to just serve the dish as braised chicken, butternut squash, and sage. I would suggest serving it with some soft polenta and sautéed winter greens. So you see, it’s really two recipes in one. Enjoy!
Braised Chicken, Sage, & Butternut Squash Turnover
Yield: 6 Servings
Time: 1 hr 6 min.
|Bacon, cut into ¼ in. slices||2 slices|
|Chicken thighs, bone in, skinless||6 ea.|
|Butternut squash, medium, cut into large dice||½ ea. (2 ½ cups)|
|Onion, yellow, medium, sliced thinly||2 ea.|
|Garlic, cloves, minced||2 ea.|
|Sage, fresh||4 sprigs|
|Thyme, fresh||3 sprigs|
|Chicken stock||2 cups|
|Puff Pastry, defrosted||1 (17.3 oz) pkg.|
|Egg, large||1 ea.|
- Set a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot to medium heat. Add bacon and cook until golden brown and slightly crispy, about 5 min. Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and place in the hot pot where the bacon was cooked. Cook chicken until golden brown, about 3 min. on each side remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Add onions to pot and cook for 3 min., add garlic, and butternut squash and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Place chicken back in the pot on top of squash mixture and add chicken stock, sage, thyme. Turn heat down to simmer, partially cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through and squash is tender, about 20-25 min. Remove pot from heat and let chicken cool in its own broth.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To make filling: Remove the cooked chicken from the pot and pull apart with your fingers, set inside a large bowl. Drain the liquid from the butternut squash mixture, and remove the sage and thyme sprigs. Place the drained butternut squash mixture in the bowl with the chicken and mix together. Season to taste.
- Place one sheet of puff pastry on the backside of 13in. x 18in. sheet pan and with a rolling pin roll pastry sheet out towards edges of the sheet pan. Spoon filling onto the center of the pastry sheet and spread to about 1 in. of the edge.
- To make egg wash: In a small bowl whisk together egg and 1 tbsp. of water. Brush edges of pastry dough with egg wash.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out second sheet of puff pastry to 1/8in. thick. Place the second sheet dough on top of the filling. Press the edges of the dough together and trim excess dough. Crimp edges together to seal. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining egg wash and prick all over with a fork.
- Place in oven and bake until golden brown, about 30 min. Allow the turnover to cool before eating.
Copyright 2014, Dora Stone