The angelic voices of the Boys of St. Paul’s Choir School, the only Catholic Boys’ Choir School in the USA, soar in homage to the Blessed Mother with the release of their second international album, Ave Maria, which will be available Friday, September 8: the day on which the Church commemorates the birthday of Mary.
The album is a mix of music honoring the Blessed Mother, from Gregorian chant through twentieth-century composers Gabriel Faure and Charles Villiers Stanford. Listeners will enjoy the blend of styles as performed by the boys’ choir. It’s amazing to me that children as young as nine years old display such a high level of musicianship and professionalism. Listen to the preview:
- Ave Maria (Josef Gabriel Rheinberger)
- Virga Jesse floruit (Anton Bruckner)
- Stabat mater dolorosa (Giovanni Battista Pergolesi)
- Bist du bei mir (Johann Sebastian Bach)
- Gaude, Virgo mater (Josquin des Prez)
- Reges Tharsis (Gregorian chant, ancient)
- Da nobis pacem (Felix Mendelssohn)
- Kyrie (from Missa Papae Marcelli by Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- Dignus est Agnus (Gregorian chant, ancient)
- Angels Ever Bright and Fair (George Frideric Handel)
- Tu Trinitatis unitas (Antonín Dvořák)
- Sub tuum praesidium (Marc-Antoine Charpentier)
- Bogoroditse Dyevo (Sergei Rachmaninoff)
- O salutaris hostia (from Messe brève, by Léo Delibes)
- In paradisum (Gabriel Fauré)
- O mysterium ineffabile (Jean-François Lalouette)
- Nulla in mundo (Antonio Vivaldi)
- A Song of Wisdom (Charles Villiers Stanford)
You can be one of 5 winners of the Ave Maria CD!
5 winners will each receive one copy of this CD. This contest is open through Tuesday, September 12 at 11:59 PM. Winners will be notified by email and will have 48 hours from the time of notification to claim their prize, or alternate winners will be chosen. This contest is open for USA and Canada mailing addresses only.
About Saint Paul’s Choir School: Founded in 1963 by Dr. Theodore Marier, an internationally acclaimed choral scholar, Saint Paul’s Choir School is the premiere musically intensive boy choir school, which educates choristers in grades 4 through 8 in the United States. The Choir School seeks to embrace the great cathedral school tradition as it unites a rigorous musical and academic curriculum preparing each student to grow and flourish in a dynamic and changing world. Saint Paul’s Choir School identifies and accepts boys from the greater Boston area as well as the entire United States who are musically talented and academically qualified.
About AimHigher Recordings: AimHigher Recordings is the sister label of De Montfort Music and releases eclectic Classical and Jazz music. Both labels provide a unique storytelling approach to extraordinary audiovisual projects. The labels have launched several Billboard chart-topping albums, consistently reaching #1 and/or top slots on Billboard’s Classical Traditional Year-Ending charts for 2012-2016. For more information, visit www.AimHigherRecordings.com and www.DeMontfortMusic.com.
Copyright 2017 Barb Szyszkiewicz, OFS
Your purchase of the resources mentioned here through Amazon affiliate links benefits the author of this article.