Welcome to Episode 29 of Among Women “Espresso Shot”
– a short strong coffee break of faith sharing and teaching from Pat Gohn.
Today’s topic: Seven Sorrows of Mary
This is the 9th installment in a 12-part series on the monthly church devotions. In September we honor the Seven Sorrows of Mary. This is a great time to engage Mary our Mother — as we lift our sorrows to her. She knows us and she understands. We can take comfort in Mary’s strength that is found at the foot of the Cross.
With the ever-expanding church sex-abuse scandals we are currently witnessing in the news, the call to devotion to Mary under her patronage of Our Lady of Sorrows, and to meditation upon the Seven Sorrows of Mary is very poignant, indeed.
Pray! Pray! Pray!
Listen to this podcast here or subscribe on your favorite podcast app.
Links for this episode:
The Seven Sorrows of Mary are:
1. The Prophecy of Simeon: (Luke.2:34-35)
2. The Flight into Egypt: (Matthew 2:13)
3. The Loss of the Holy Child at Jerusalem for three days: (Luke 23: 27-31)
4. Meeting Jesus as he carries his Cross to Calvary: (Luke 23: 27-31)
5. Standing at the Foot of the Cross: (John 19:25-30)
6. Jesus is taken down from the Cross: (John 19:31-37)
7. The Burial of Jesus: (John 19:38-42)
Servites order – Friar Servants of Mary, USA Province
Basilica of Our Lady of Sorrows, Chicago
Via Matris — The Way of Our Sorrowing Mother: meditations on the Seven Sorrows of Mary
Stabat Mater — well known hymn, that is also the sequence at the liturgy on Sept. 15.
Other podcasts of related interest:
AW 112: What I Love about the Rosary
AW Espresso Shot #28: Devotion to the Immaculate Heart
AW 25: An early show from 2009 that explores Our Lady of Sorrows
A word to survivors of sexual abuse, and their friends…
Over the years I’ve been producing the Among Women Podcast, I’ve recorded some conversations about this important subject that may be some support and help.
AW 79: Overcoming the Trauma of Sexual Abuse
AW 140: Saintly Perspectives on Healing Sexual Wounds
AW 47: From Victim to Survivor to Striver to Thriver
Copyright 2018 Pat Gohn