To have a safe and educational classroom here is a list of My Top Ten Must Have Items For CCD.
1. Be Organized- To be a good CCD teacher you must be organized. Be sure to have your lesson plans organized to keep you from leaving things behind and you can find what you want when you need it. Organize your CCD activities at home so you can find what you want when you need it. Searching for certain items can be stressful and since most catechists are volunteers time is something they do not want to waste.
2. Classroom Rules- Every classroom needs rules so that everyone can learn to their fullest potential and the class can run smoothly and effectively. When establishing classroom rules you should identify behavioral expectations for your classroom. Having a well behaved classroom is critical for proper learning. For the students to learn to their fullest potential they need an environment that is quiet, without distractions, and organized. To be able to achieve this is to keep disruptive behavior down to the minimum. Classroom management is rather tricky and teachers need ideas and strategies on how to manage their classroom effectively and efficiently. Teachers therefore need to use good behavior classroom strategies and games for managing classroom behavior. When behaviors become a problem in a classroom an effective strategy is to implement a behavior contract.
3. Tool Caddies- A great place to store classroom supplies (pencils, crayons, scissors, glue, etc.) so they will be ready and easily accessible. *TIP: Just put what supplies the students need to do the activity in the caddy and place it in the middle of the table. Avoid putting extra supplies in the caddy that are not needed. Students will probably use them and supplies can be limited in some CCD programs. Students will also tend to make a bigger mess when too many supplies are available for them to use.
4. Dry Erase Board or Chalk Board- A great place to write vocabulary words, assignments, key words, etc.
5. Agenda Book/Planner- An organized student stays current on assignments and will achieve success in school. Agenda books help students develop sound organization skills that will teach them a successful lifelong journey through school.
6. Student Folder/Binder- To cut down on lost papers and to be better organized, give your students folders or binders. What teachers use for student folders depends upon the grade level and what kind of work the student does in class. It can be as simple as a folder with two pockets with or without brads and be as elaborate as a small binder with dividers.
7. Assignment Sheets, Progress Reports, Grade Sheets- Keeping accurate records of student assignments is necessary for good parent/teacher communication. It also helps students be more organized and be able to turn assignments on time.
8. Homework- To encourage my students to do homework I have them play HOMEWORKOPOLY.
9. Computer/Copier Machine- Print worksheets, puzzles, crafts, etc. for your students. Make extra copies just in case you get a new student or if someone brings a friend to class.
10. Supplies- Every classroom must have classroom supplies to survive. I need paper, crayons, colored pencils, glue, glue sticks, construction paper, glitter, clear contact paper, folders, etc. Since classroom supplies are limited at our parish I buy what we need way before CCD starts when all the stores have sales for Back To School items. I store all my CCD crafts and games in a closet and all my craft patterns and file folder games in portable file box with a handle and everything is in individual labeled file folders.
What are your tops things that you must have for CCD?
Copyright 2012 Laura Grace