May is one of the best months of the year. For many parts of the country, this is the first time that signs of spring manage to peek through the dreary winter weather and we celebrate some very special people this month- mothers! Since May is the month of Our Mother, Mary and also the month we celebrate our earthly mothers, I thought it would be a lot of fun to make a Spiritual Bouquet card complete with a small gift inside, perfect for mailing to grandmothers, nuns, godmothers, and other spiritual mothers.
Cardstock cut to 5 ½ x 4 ¼ (a regular sheet cut in half widthwise) or a pre-cut notecard and envelope
An invitation size envelope
FREE printable Spiritual Bouquet promise card
A packet of flower seeds (find a list of all of the flowers attributed to Mary here!)
Scrap pieces of cardstock, scrapbook paper, construction paper, wrapping paper,etc
Scrapbook adhesive or glue stick
Paper trimmer and/or scissors
Crayons, colored pencils, or markers
Coloring page sized and printed to fit onto card (about 2in x 3in) (I used an awesome FREE coloring page from Happy Saints for my project!)
Twine, raffia, or ribbon
Small amount of regular tape and foam tape (optional)
1. First, color your coloring page and cut it out to fit on your card front. I usually leave about ¼ in gap on all sides. It is best to have a small paper trimmer to cut so that the edges are square but scissors will do the job.
2. Next, using scrap cardstock or construction paper in a coordinating color, mat your picture. To do this, glue the picture onto a corner of the paper, leaving about ¼ in gap on the sides and then using your scissors, trim the other sides so that they are all even. Lay your picture aside.
3. Now, take your 5 ½ x 4 ¼ in piece of cardstock and, holding it horizontally, fold it I half. Now open it and measure 1 inch from the bottom. Fold the cardstock up to form a flap on the bottom of your card, This will hold the seed packet.
4. Apply some adhesive to the edges of the flap to hold it in place. Fold your card in half again.
5. Now it is time to decorate the front of the card! You can basically do anything you wish but for my card I used two different patterned papers cut to 2 in x 3 ¼ in and a strip of solid colored paper in a coordinating color. I glued the two pieces of patterned paper to the card, leaving a gap all the way around.
6. Now glue the strip over the gap between the two pieces of cardstock and place your ribbon around your card so that the middle of the ribbon meets the fold of the card. Tape it down near the center (your Mary picture will cover the tape).
7. Now attach your Mary picture to the front of your card. I used some foam tape but you can also just use your regular glue stick or other adhesive.
8. Open your card and place your seeds in one pocket and your Spiritual Bouquet promise card in the other side.
9. Close your card and tie a bow to keep your card closed. How beautiful is that?
Copyright 2013 Alicia Hart