You guys know how much I love the saints, right? So imagine my glee when I discovered the new “Saints and Me!” series of children’s books from Liguori Publications, penned by Barbara Yoffie and illustrated by Katherine Borgatti.
Here’s a look at the books that have been published to date:
- Kateri Tekakwitha: Model of Bravery – The story of Saint Kateri Tekakwitha comes to life in colorful, full-page illustrations and lively text for children ages 4 through 9. Emphasizing Saint Kateri’s special virtue of courage, author and long-time elementary educator Barbara Yoffie helps readers develop an understanding of saints as real-life heroes and heroines who live all around and inspire us to become more like Christ.
- Juan Diego: Mary’s Humble Messenger – The story of Saint Juan Diego, to whom the Blessed Virgin appeared and miraculously left behind her image on his tilma, emphasizing Saint Juan’s special virtue of perseverance in faith.
- Rose Philippine Duchesne: A Dreamer and a Missionary – The story of Rose Philippine Duchesne, who was born in France and did mission work in both St. Charles, MO, and Kansas.
- Elizabeth Ann Seton: Mother for Many – The story of Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first US native-born citizen to be canonized, who established the first Catholic school and had seven children of her own.
- Damien of Molokai: Builder for Community – The story of Damien of Molokai, born in Belgium and a missionary saint who worked among the lepers in Hawaii.
- Andre Bessette: A Heart of Strength – The story of Andre Bessette, a French-Canadian priest who is said to have healed many and who was canonized in 2010.
All of these books are lovingly narrated and vividly illustrated, bringing the stories of the saints to life for our children. Priced at only $4.99 per book, these books have the ability to help your child bond with new spiritual friends who will serve as lifetime companions. As a “bonus” to the series, Liguori has published the fantastic Saints of North America Activity Book, which is the perfect partner to the series. With 96 reproducible pages of coloring, puzzles and activities, it’s perfect for your home or classroom and is a wonderful way to drive home the lessons learned in the individual books. Be on the lookout for new additions to the “Saints and Me!” series coming soon.
Order any of these books by clicking on the title links above and support CatholicMom.com with your purchase.
Be sure to check out our Book Notes archive.
Copyright 2013 Lisa M. Hendey