Today’s Gospel: Luke 10: 1-9
Jesus gives explicit instructions to the apostles as they go forth as evangelists for the first time:
- Carry nothing with you and greet no one along the way (in other words, remain unattached to people and possessions and do not be distracted; remain focused on the task at hand)
- Grant peace to the household where you choose to stay; if your greeting is accepted, peace will remain and if not, it will return to you (in other words, show graciousness to your host and bring your best self into their dwelling)
- Stay in the same house and eat and drink whatever they give you for the laborer deserves his wages (in other words, accept whatever hospitality the household offers even if the food isn’t necessarily what you want; accept the payment that is given without complaint)
- Do not move from house to house (in other words, plant yourself in the community)
- To the towns that welcome you, eat what is set before you, cure in the sick and say to them that the Kingdom of God is at hand (in other words, accept their hospitality without question and offer healing in body, heart and mind to everyone you meet)
Sounds like we have our marching orders. Ready to go?
How do you approach sharing the Good News? What special directions is the Lord giving you?
Lord, clear my mind and heart of my own ideas and fill them with your own. Help me to be loving and gracious to everyone I meet, letting your love shine through me, accompanied by a few choice words. Amen.
Copyright 2014 Susan Bailey