Watch Father Leo Patalinghug, the “Cooking Priest,” as he prepares this simple meal from Niger. After you enjoy this meal with your family, put the money you save by not purchasing meat into your CRS Rice Bowl; it will be used to help feed the hungry in your community and around the world!
West African Peanut Stew
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
• 4 tablespoons FAIR TRADE olive oil
• 6 cups water
• ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• 3 small sweet potatoes, cubed
• 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
• 3 cups chopped kale or spinach
• 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
In a large pot, sauté onion, garlic and ginger in oil until tender. Add 5 cups water and season with crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper. Stir in sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup water, tomatoes, greens and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.
Recipe and photo copyright 2015 Catholic Relief Services. All rights reserved.