Join us as we read and discuss The Friendship Project by Michele Faehnle and Emily Jaminet!
CatholicMom.com contributing writers Michele Faehnle and Emily Jaminet are busy wives, mothers, and volunteers. They are also friends, Catholic speakers, and the dedicated coauthors of Divine Mercy for Moms, which continues to inspire women to come together to pray, study, and live in friendship around the Divine Mercy devotion. In the midst of their active lives, Faehnle and Jaminet found themselves missing their old friends and searching for new ones. They also realized that they needed to continually work to develop deep, meaningful relationships that would allow them to be themselves, to care for others and be cared for, and to deepen their Catholic faith.
In The Friendship Project, Faehnle and Jaminet explore the cardinal and theological virtues with an eye toward friendship. Focusing on faith, hope, love, prudence, gratitude, loyalty, generosity, and prayerfulness, they help us answer questions such as, “What does it mean to be women of hope, and how does that change our lives and make us more compassionate friends during difficult times?” and “How does prayerfulness teach us how to listen to and talk with both God and our friends, which helps us reach out to those we love?”
Faehnle and Jaminet answer these questions and more by employing Church teaching and telling us stories of their own friendships and those from the lives of saints and biblical women—including the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Elizabeth, St. Thérèse of Lisieux and her sister Servant of God Léonie, and Sts. Perpetua and Felicity. Not only will you be drawn closer to friends both new and old but you’ll also be reminded how these friendships—and the virtues you practice to nurture them—draw you closer to God.
Here’s how it will work:
We’ll post a reflection each week on Saturdays, beginning with an author interview on September 23. We have a team of writers who will be reflecting on each chapter and posting discussion questions. You’re welcome to read along with us.
You can participate in a few ways:
1. Read along.
2. Leave comments on each post with your thoughts and impressions or even take a stab at the discussion questions.
3. Interact with other commenters.
4. Share the posts and the discussion in your real-life networks and/or your social networks.
Our reading schedule:
(We’ll link to the posts as they are posted. The links won’t work until that Saturday.)
- September 16 – A quick look at some Book Club Special Features
- September 23 – CatholicMom.com founder Lisa Hendey’s interview with authors Michele Faehnle and Emily Jaminet
- September 30 – Chapter 1, Finding Faith: reflection by Christina Nagy
- October 7 – Chapter 2, Holding on to Hope: reflection by Hannah Christensen
- October 14 – Chapter 3, Cultivating Charity AND Chapter 4, Practicing Prudence: reflection by Courtney Vallejo
- October 21 – Chapter 5, Growing in Gratitude: reflection by Susan Anderson
- October 28 – Chapter 6, Living Loyalty AND Chapter 7, Giving Generosity: reflection by Christine Johnson
- November 4 – Chapter 8, Pondering Prayerfulness: reflection by Kate Taliaferro
NOTE: You need to click through to the actual weekly posts for discussion.
Purchase your copy
We encourage you to visit your local Catholic bookstore for a copy of this book. You can also purchase it online through Ave Maria Press as well as Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. Through September 30, Ave Maria Press is offering a special deal on The Friendship Project: use code BOGO50 when you buy two books, one for you and one for a friend — the second copy will be 50% off!
Want a Book Club reminder?
You’ll get an email with a link to the newest post in the CatholicMom.com Book Club. Sign up by filling out the form below with your name and email:
Don’t worry, we won’t share your email address.