My sister-in-law switched to a totally plant-based diet and asked me for recipe ideas. As she is a stuffed bell pepper lover, I developed this recipe for her.
When I made it for my family, my husband said he could hardly tell there was no beef in it, which is pretty high praise from his meat-loving perspective. The ultimate compliment came from my 5-year-old, though, who ate 3 helpings!
Meatless Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all ingredients except corn, peas, and bell peppers in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes, or until most of the fluid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in frozen corn and peas.
- While the quinoa mixture is simmering, cut bell peppers in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the seeds, ribs, and stem.
- Place peppers in a large baking dish and spoon the quinoa mixture into each pepper half. Bake for 15 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
Copyright 2019 Monica Portogallo